San blas de illescas: Coamo, Puerto Rico – San Blas de Illescas’ Villa
Coamo, Puerto Rico
Coamo is located in the southern region of Puerto Rico, about 90-minute car ride
away from Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU).
Coamo is known as «La Villa Añeja» (old villa)
or «La Villa de San Blas de Illescas» (San Blas de Illescas villa) in honor of the San Blas Half Marathon celebrated every year
Coamo is the third-oldest town in Puerto Rico, established by Spanish settlers and founded on July 15, 1570 by Cristobal
y Blas de Illescas. Coamo was the capital of the south until the 1880’s, when political power moved to Ponce.
The town original name was San Blas de Illescas, later changed to Coamo, named after a local Indian chief Coamex or Coamey.
By 1582, there were twenty families living in Coamo, in the same area where
the Tainos had had their village of Guayama. Coamo became officially a town in
1616, and given the title of «Villa» by Spanish Royal Decree in 1778.
Coamo is famous for its thermal springs, the Coamo Thermal Baths.
Long before the Europeans arrived, Indians bathed in a thermal spring at Coamo;
according to one legend, this was the fountain of youth the Indians described to Ponce de León. Today, a parador
-Los Baños de Coamo- surrounds the famous spring. It was considered the islands most fashionable resort from 1847 to 1958.
Highlights of the town’s include the historical 18th-century
Church of San Blas de Illescas located on the center plaza, considered
one of the most important works of religious architecture in Puerto Rico. Open daily, 6:30am-12:00pm. Be sure to explore nearby
buildings and sites like the City Hall, Efren Bernier residence (Casa Blanca), and Jose Ignacio Quinton residence.
Coamo is also home of Museo Historico de Coamo, an elegant masonry home converted into a museum with
turn-of-the-century furnishings and local history displays. Open
daily, 8:00am-noon 1:00pm-4:00pm, (787) 825-1150 Ext. 206.
Another attraction in Coamo is the Coamo Springs Golf and Tennis Club, located in Barrio Las Flores.
Open Mon-Sun, 7:30am — 3:30pm, (787) 758-1212.
Every year in February Coamo hosts the San Blás de
Illescas Marathon, inaugurated in 1963 by Phi Delta Fraternity in honor
to the founder of the town. International and local runners compete in a
13.1-mile half marathon. It’s Puerto Rico’s biggest race, and the crowds
are always large.
If you are looking for a place to stay during your next trip, Baños de Coamo offers
air-conditioned rooms with a pleasing blend of contemporary and period furnishings. Located on Route 546, Km 1, (787) 825-2186.
Street in Coamo
The town is a trading center for
machinery, aircraft radio components, machines, and clothing.
The surrounding areas produces corn, mangos, oranges and plantains.
Coamo is made up of 11 barrios (wards/districts):
- Coamo Arriba
- Los Llanos
- Pedro Garcia
- San Idelfonso
- Santa Catalin
Coamo, Cuyón, Descalabrado, Lapa, Jueyes and Mina.
Annual precipitation is approximately 78 inches and the average temperature is 78 F.
August is the warmest month of the year. January is the coldest month.
10 Day Forecast
There are many well-known «coameños», among them:
- Bobby Capo, singer, composer, television director, and government official
- Maria Teresa Babin, college professor, writer, and founder of the Puerto Rican Studies Department at Lehman College in Nueva York.
- Juan Rivera-Ortiz, teacher and political figure
- Jose Garriga Pico, former senator
- Alejandro Garcia Padilla, politician and attorney who served as the 11th governor of Puerto Rico from 2013 to 2017
- Banos de Coamo (Puerto Rican), (787) 825-2239
Festivals and Events
- Carnaval de la Yuca — August
- Carnaval del Juey — October
- Carnaval Flor de Mayo — May
- Festival de Bomba y Plena — November
- Fiestas Patronales de San Blas Illescas y La Virgen Candelaria — February
Every year, Coamo celebrates a festival to honor the two Patron Saints. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions.
- San Blas de Illescas Marathon — February
Every year in February Coamo celebrates San Blas de Illescas Marathon, inaugurated in 1963 by Phi Delta Fraternity in honor to the founder of the town. International and local runners compete in a 13.1-mile half marathon. It’s Puerto Rico’s biggest race, and the crowds are always large.
(787) 825-2775 or (787) 825-4077
Both the flag and coat of arms were adopted on August 5, 1969.
The flag design consists of three equal horizontal stripes. The red, yellow, and black colors are derived
from the municipal coat of arms. The red represents martyrs and refers to the fact that Saint Blas was decapitated. The gold yellow alludes to the excellent qualities of San Blas and the parched plains of Coamo. The black refers to the sorrows and tribulations endured by Coamo.
The flag should fly with the black stripe down.
Coat of Arms
The coat of arms is divided into four parts and characterized by the colors: red, black, yellow and white.
Symbolism of the coat of arms:
- The bells represent the three city’s Catholic churches, Altagracia, Valvanera and San Blas.
- The bishops’ hats represent the bishops that founded the city: Mercado and Salamanca.
- The flames represents the city’s patron, Our Lady of the Fire.
- The crosses represent the cross of the Villa, property of Cristobal de Illescas.
- The horse and bull represent the cattle industry. The gold color that serves as background recalls the yellowish reddish tone of the fields of Coamo during the droughts.
- The circle whit blue lines represent the Thermal Baths of Coamo.
The anthem of Coamo was written Manuel Torres Tapia. The title is Allá muy cerca del pueblo. ..
There are 21 public schools in Coamo,
education is handled by the Puerto Rico Department of Education.
Puerto Rico: 3,285,874
Land Area: 78.01 sq mi
Density: 494.8 per sq mi
Median Age: 43.1
Sex: 52% female
Per capita income
Puerto Rico: $21,058
Median household income: $18,319
Puerto Rico: $21,058
Persons below poverty line: 48.5%
Housing, families and educational attainment *
Number of households
Housing units density:
Persons per household: 2.92
High school grad or higher: 78.9%
Marital status: 36% married
* U.S. Census Bureau 2020 data, unless otherwise noted — Source: Quick Facts Puerto Rico.
** U.S. Census Bureau 2016-2020
Coordinates: 18.0800° N, 66. 3581° W
Zip Code: 769
Driving Distance from San Juan: 62.6 miles
Driving Time: 1 hour, 36 minutes
del combate de Coamo
Hotels Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo
Tio Pepe’s Guest House
CARRETERA 723 km. 0.3 Barriio Asomante,Aibonito Hotel
5 mi. NE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Located in Aibonito, Tio Pepe’s Guest House features a bar and a terrace. Featuring a restaurant, the 4-star hotel has air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi, each with a private bathroom. The hotel has family rooms. Guest rooms in the hotel are equipped with a flat-screen TV. The nearest airport is M…
Aibonito Hotel 203
Asomante carr 14, Km 48.9Aibonito Apartment
5 mi. NE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Aibonito Hotel 203 is situated in Aibonito. This apartment features a shared kitchen and free WiFi. The air-conditioned apartment consists of 1 separate bedroom, 1 bathroom with a hairdryer and free toiletries, and a seating area. Towels and bed linen are offered in the apartment. The nearest airpor…
5 Mins from the Beach and Restaurants — Quiet — Pets Welcome
Calle CRío Jueyes Vacation Homes
8 mi. SE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. 5 Mins from the Beach and Restaurants — Quiet — Pets Welcome has a patio and is situated in Rio Jueyes, within just 1.2 km of Playa de Salinas and 1.2 km of Hacienda Margarita. The air-conditioned accommodation is 43 km from Museo de Art de Ponce, and guests benefit from complimentary WiFi and priva…
Salinas House — The World’s favorite stay!
Calle Unión #3 PR 3, km 160. 3Salinas Apartment
8 mi. SE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Located in Salinas in the South Puerto Rico region, Salinas House — The World’s favorite stay! features a balcony. This apartment provides free private parking, an ATM and free WiFi. This air-conditioned apartment comes with 2 bedrooms, a flat-screen TV, a dining area, and a kitchen with a microwave…
P.O. Box 702Barranquitas Hotel
9 mi. NE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Featuring free WiFi access throughout the property, Hacienda Margarita offers accommodation in Barranquitas. Free private parking is also available on site. Rooms are fitted with a private bathroom fitted with a bath or shower. An array of activities can be enjoyed on site or in the surroundings, in…
Glamper Beautiful Blue
Carr 3 int 180 sect brisas de la playita solar 95Salinas Campgrounds
9 mi. SE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Set in Salinas, near Hacienda Carmen, Magdalena and Las Marias, Glamper Beautiful Blue has a garden. Each unit features a living room with a TV and a kitchen fitted with a microwave, fridge, oven and a stovetop. A toaster and coffee machine are also offered. At the camping guests are welcome to take…
Marina de Salinas
PR 701 Final Calle (St.) Chapin G-8,Salinas Hotel
9 mi. SE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Set in Salinas, 44 km from Museo de Art de Ponce, Marina de Salinas offers accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, a bar and a garden. Boasting family rooms, this property also provides guests with a children’s playground. The accommodation provides evening entertainment and room serv…
Full Moon Hotel & Restaurant
Playita Final 296 Salinas Hotel
10 mi. SE from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Boasting a restaurant, outdoor swimming pool, bar and free WiFi, Full Moon Hotel & Restaurant is situated in Salinas, 44 km from Museo de Art de Ponce and 45 km from Hacienda Buena Vista. Featuring family rooms, this property also provides guests with a sun terrace. The accommodation features room s…
Modern two bedroom apartment in the heart of Puerto Rico!
19 Calle Luis M AlfaroOrocovis Apartment
10 mi. NW from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Modern two bedroom apartment in the heart of Puerto Rico! is set in Orocovis. It is located 37 km from Tortuguero Lagoon Natural Reserve and provides free WiFi and free private parking. The air-conditioned apartment consists of 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and 1 bathroom. A flat-screen TV is provided. The…
Lovely 2 bedroom rental unit in the heart of PR
19 Calle Luis M. AlfaroOrocovis Apartment
10 mi. NW from Church San Blas de Illescas of Coamo. Lovely 2 bedroom rental unit in the heart of PR is situated in Orocovis. The air-conditioned accommodation is 37 km from Tortuguero Lagoon Natural Reserve, and guests benefit from private parking available on site and free WiFi. The apartment has 2 bedrooms, a flat-screen TV and a fully equipped kit…
Coamo — frwiki.wiki
Municipality Coamo on the island of Puerto Rico (international code: PR.CO) covers an area of 202 km² and has 37,597 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2006).
- 1 story
- 2 Brief history
- 3 XVI —
- 4 Founding a church
- 5 Coamo Foundation
- 6 Founder and Head of
- 7 Housing
- 8 Economy Coamo
- 9 Governor
- 10 missionaries
- 11 Unit: Ramon Rivera Bermudez
- 12 Geography
- 13 Economy
- 14 Tourism
- 15 Hot Springs
- 16 San Blas Marathon
- 17 Historical Museum
- 18 History of the
- 19 Coamo Memorial Fund
- 20 Obelisks
- 21 Catholic Church
- 22 Culture
- 23 Notes and references
Coamo was founded on July 15, 1579 under the patronage of San Blas and San Blas Illescas de Coamo and with the cooperation of the bishops and the market of Salamanca. The island was almost a forest. The city of Coamo was located to the north of what used to be a large Indian village, which was located on the site of the current street in Buenos Aires, which is on the banks of the Coamo Rio and within the city. Its length stretched from the Guayama River to the Jacaguas River.
At the initiative of Governor Estenos Ramirez, the first coffee in Puerto Rico was planted in 1756. In 1962 he founded the church of Altagracia. Later, in 1685, he founded the Valvanera Church. He provoked a cholera epidemic and promised the Virgin of Valvanera to eradicate the disease. The telegraph reached Coamo in 1870. In 1879, a terrible fire destroyed the hall of the house with all the documents. In 1898, one of the most important battles of the Spanish-American War took place at what is today Bo. Falls. At 19In 08, when he was mayor, Don Manuel Betances created a system of aqueducts to provide the population with access to drinking water. In 1920 electricity began and a power station was built serving the municipality.
XVI — th century
Pregnancy and childbirth in the village
The foundation of the future city of San Blas is interesting and colorful. There, during 1515 and Ponce de Leon’s war with the Indians, only the cities of Caparra (San Juan) and Saint Germain existed in Puerto Rico. They are located on the coast, its inhabitants, especially the inhabitants of Saint Germain, were constantly harassed by Caribbean Indians, pirates and pirates. To overcome this problem, many of them began to migrate to the islands in search of fertile land inland and greater security. They settled mainly on the banks of the Coamo Rio, in the valley of that name. By 1570, a large group of people appeared who led to the bishops of the market of Salamanca and directed the official founding of the city.
At that time the island was divided into two parts: the Party of Puerto Rico (or capitals) and the Party of San Germán. The Camui River, which flows into the northern coast, and the Jacaguas Río River, on the southern coast, divide the island into two almost equal parts. To the east of them was the party of the capital, and to the west of San Germán.
On April 6, 1579, the Bishop of Salamanca sent a letter to King Philip II, notifying him that he had founded a church in the Coamo Valley, that there was a significant nucleus of people in the immediate vicinity of this situation, and therefore royal approval for the founding of the city.
On July 15, 1579, the king approved the official marginal founding decree, written in the very letter of request from the Bishop of Salamanca, authorizing the creation by ordinary mandate of the inhabitants of San Blas Illescas de San Blas Illescas.
The territory assigned to Coamo was separated from the Capital Party. It extended from the Rio Hacaguas in the west to the Guamani River in the east. In the north it borders on the edge of the Central Cordillera, including part of Comerio, and in the south — on the Caribbean Sea.
Founder and leader
The patron saint took over what was and still is San Blas de Illescas. The name «San Blas» refers to the saint of that name, while «Illescas» refers to the city of Illescas, where the main founders were from the city of Coamo. Illescas is located in the province of Toledo, on the Castilian plain, very close to the city of Madrid.
Name of San Ildefonso Illescas, who purchased land in the Coamo Valley and also donated 128 canals in 1579 to locate the urban area of the city. These lands are now the Barrio of San Ildefonso, opposite the city. .
The settlers lived in scattered huts and thatch, palm fronds and logs, or Taino rustic style. They slept on beds or in hammocks, and his house consisted mostly of dishes made from gourd shells in the Taino style. A clay pot and three traditional stones were used in the kitchen for cooking.
Economy of Coamo
At that time the population was concentrated in the Coamo peninsula, avoiding the area of high and lush forests and their rugged terrain. Slept away from the coast, fearing the Caribbean and pirates. The agriculture of Coamo was limited to the cultivation of cattle and natural fruits or berries, as we call them today.
When Coamo was founded, agriculture was the only main source of life. It was primarily subsistence agriculture. They had to produce food and not plant much more than they needed because they couldn’t sell the surplus fruit. Don’t forget that the island of Puerto Rico was almost a forest, with no roads, and that besides Coamo there was only Saint Germain and the capital city.
The most «dramatic» progress in the science of agriculture for XVI — th century in Puerto Rico, he used a machete to cut an ax to cut trees and pick or a hoe for weeding or plowing the ground.
The main agricultural products in Coamo at that time were: cattle, hides, ginger and fruits. Cassava, corn, fruits, bananas, yams, peanuts, sweet potatoes, taro, lehren, and other minor crops were life insurance for the residents’ livelihoods. Farmed pigs and cattle were plentiful in the semi-desert areas and were the main source of protein in the diet of the locals. They also had hens and guinea fowls with related products. Another source of energy was the products of hunting and fishing, both in the forest, and in the sea and in the river, of which there were many.
Many foods such as corn, cassava and sweet potatoes are inherited from the Spanish Indians, such as the way they are grown and prepared for the table. For the provided meat, forest pigs and cattle were hunted. They were introduced by the Spaniards themselves at the turn of the century. Of course, some of these pets were settlers on their farms for ease of use. Among them was the milk of dairy cows, which gave them an idea of the importance of raising children and eating bananas, sweet potatoes, yams, and other starchy earth, which generously gave them.
Apparently cassava, corn, bananas, milk and meat were staples in this region and around Puerto Rico at that time.
Governor Don Juan Melgarejo, in his famous message to the king in 1582, confirmed the existence of the city of Coamo, of which he had already been appointed mayor, in addition to the chaplain.
In 1597 it happened to the Jesuit missionaries Coamo Spinola Carlos and Jerome de Angelis, who wrote a description of the city only to realize that the church was built of logs or rough reeds and palms, like other houses of the population . The country was then almost entirely forest, with no roads. In addition to Coamo, we repeat, there were only the cities of Saint-Germain and the capital city.
XVI — th century, therefore, first of all, the century of pregnancy and the implementation of Koamo. It was an age of deprivation and a courageous struggle for survival. Synthesis of history
Consisting of: Ramon Rivera Bermudez
Since 1512, continued pirate attacks in the Caribbean and off the coast of the German San and Caparra have helped spread to many settlers in the interior of the island in search of safety. The valley of the Coamo River became a favorite place for this migration. In 1570 more than 30 families were created.
- 1572 — Bishop of the market takes first steps towards King Philip II in favor of founding Coamo.
- 1579 — April 6 Bishop of Salamanca asked the king for the founding of Coamo.
- 1579 — July 15, King Philip II approves the founding of Coamo.
- 1622 Grace Chapel founded at a place called Hill.
- 1661 — opening of the first stage of the parish church.
- 1685 — He founded the chapel of Our Lady of Valvanera. There was a serious outbreak of cholera, and the inhabitants begged the Mother of God to stop it, promising to erect a sanctuary if that happened. That’s what happened.
- 1755 — coffee was planted for the first time in Puerto Rico.
- 1788 — Coamo acquires the category of Villa, ruled by the people of Ponce, Guayama and Kaya.
- 1843 — Coamo loses leadership and moves to the Ponce area.
- 1847 Resort operations begin. Baths of Coamo.
- 1898 — One of the most important battles of the Spanish-American War took place at the site now known as Niagara.
- 1905 — Opening of the telephone network in Coamo.
- 1908 — First network of aqueducts in Coamo (Don Manuel Betances, mayor), drinking water for people’s homes.
- 1920 — Don Celestino Caratini determines the power system of the city of Coamo.
- 1926 — Opening of the public school of Coamo, legacy of Don Florencio Santiago.
- 1928 Hurricane San Felipe passing because ruins and destroyed industry.
- 1954 — Agricultural Fair in Coamo — it was a grand event.
- 1955 — Industry has surpassed agriculture in economic importance, and decline begins in Coamo and Puerto Rico.
- 1963 — Birth of the San Blas Marathon sponsored by the Phi Delta Delta Brotherhood.
Coamo 1979 Cuatricentenario celebrates its founding. Unit: Norma Cartagena de Olivieri
- 1989 — State of Coamo wins second Quality of Life Award.
- 1990 — First Quality of Life Award in Puerto Rico.
- 1990 — The official population of Coamo is 33,837.
- 1990 — Athletics track and Osvaldo Rivera Osvaldo Silk Festival Center built and opened.
- 1991 Grand opening of the first phase of the restoration and renovation of the Plaza Luis Muñoz Rivera.
- 1991 — Dr. Talavera Damaso Family Health Center begins operations.
- 1991 — Inaugurates a computerized system in vital statistics, which makes it possible to receive documents in Como.
- 1991 — Bobby Hood opens a museum hall in honor of the coameño destined to set Puerto Rico’s world musical flag.
- 1992 — Starting transit through Santa Ana front door.
- 1992 — Creation of new premises in the Center for Evaluation and Therapy of Children and Adolescents with Disabilities. Started in 1990.
- 1992 — Begins medical care at a clinic set up to serve residents of flea neighborhoods.
- 1992 — Opening of the modern Luis Munoz Marin Avenue.
- 1992 — Honorable Mayor Carlos Luis Torres Santiago receives a national award in the category «OFFICIAL DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR» for his great contribution to programs for the rehabilitation of people with disabilities.
- 1992 — Rosendito Rivera wins three gold medals for Puerto Rico, Mexico.
- 1993 — The construction of a public car terminal dedicated to coameño drivers with excellent public service contributed to the progress of our people.
Third part: Ileana Phoebus
- (2002 — 2003) — was built and opened in the Boardwalk Pico Cerro building and reaches the top of the hill, making it an attractive destination for tourists and visitors.
- 2003 — As part of the 424th Anniversary events, Dr Veve, North Street is opened with the name of Bobby Capo.
- (2003-2005) — We begin the renovation of Luis Muñoz Rivera’s public square and open it in 2005.
- (2003 — 2005) — You begin the reconstruction of the town hall, to finish it in 2005, opening a new one again.
- (2003 — 2005) — The first phase of the disposal of the urban area ends.
- (2003–2005) — Construction work completed on Place Marchais and Municipal Police Headquarters.
- (2003 — 2005) — Refurbishment of the Coamo Historical Museum, named the Bermudez Ramon Rivera Historical Museum, completed.
- 2004 — As part of the 425th Anniversary events, Dr. Veve was opened on South Street under the name of Willy Rosario.
- 2004 — Pil Canela boulevard reopened after renovation and opening of kiosks.
- 2004 — Opening of the southern bypass road in Bo. Pasto (Santa Ana — San Diego).
- 2004 — Opening of a water diversion channel from the San Ildefonso Barrios (Las Flores) sector to the Cuyon (Pumpkins) sector.
- 2004 — Opening and formalization of the Bernier Elfren Santiago Sports Training Center.
- (2004 — 2005) — Municipal Legislature names the Puerto Rico Flag Lookout Hill Monument pursuant to Ordinance 35.
- 2005 — Opening of the Artur Norat Stadium, located in Plaza Luis Rivera Muñoz.
- 2005 — The Municipal Legislature named Puerto Rico’s flag «Lookout Hill Monument» in accordance with Ordinance No. 35.
- 2006 — A few years later, the Patron Saints return to the Rivera Plaza Luis Muñoz for only three (3) days of activity.
- 2006 — grand opening of technology «wireless» public Plaza Luis Muñoz Rivera.
- 2006 — Death of former mayor of Zayas Koamo Norat Ramon.
- 2007 — won 4th th program. Edition Fama young coameno Juan Vélez.
- 2007 — The Municipality of Coamo takes over the residential public administration of Las Palmas.
- 2007 — Beginning of renovations to Hot Springs, $2.3 million public spaces.
- 2007 — Groundbreaking for the construction of the Coamo Convention Center.
- 2008 — Grand opening of houses in tourist areas where Willy Rosario (Betances Calle) and Bobby Hood (rue
- 2009 — the grand opening of the trolleybus for the people in the «traditional way».
) were born
Coamo is located in the southeast of the island, north of Santa Isabel, south of Orocovis and Barranquitas, east of Villalba and Juana Diaz, west of Aibonito and Salinas.
- Public Square: One of Puerto Rico’s oldest public squares, criticized by many as the most beautiful. In the center is the parish, which is also considered the most beautiful and best organized on the island.
- Hotel Los Baños de Coamo: This famous hot sulfur resort is located six miles south-southwest of the city of Coamo on the east bank of the river of that name. This is the only restaurant of its kind in Puerto Rico.
- Cerro Mirador Pico —
- Rick Cerro Memorial Flag Puerto Mirador: Cerro Pico viewpoint overlooks the Coamo Valley. During the pre-Columbian era of the Taino Coameno, Spanish colonists from this enemy spy hill could reach Coamo near the Caribbean. It is located northeast of the city on Route 155, in turn, turning left for 1.1 km.
In 2002, the building was raised to the top of the hill where the Mirador was located for the entertainment of our visitors. There is a Holy Cross and a flag.
This popular sulphurous hot water resort is located six miles south-southwest of the city of Coamo on the east bank of the river of that name. This is the only restaurant of its kind in Puerto Rico.
Legend has it that these springs are the desired fountain of youth for Don Juan Ponce de Leon. According to the same legend, the Indians of Puerto Rico said that the spring «was in the west» and went looking abroad. So accidentally discovered in Florida, where, finally, the unsuspected fountain of youth, which was nicknamed the «West», met its death, but in his beloved Puerto Rico.
Then for more than three centuries this privileged place remained in its natural form, which was used by the Indians, Creoles and Spaniards. Due to the fame that the island gained from the healing power of the waters of these springs, as well as the increase in the population of the island, it was obvious that building a spa could be a profitable business.
So, back in 1847, Andres G. Luring, the far-sighted city of Ponce, built the first buildings, by the way, quite primitive, which became a prelude to the famous seaside resort. It was a «house on the facade» for receiving guests, it is logical to assume that it was made of wood, and in the same place where until 19In 1958, a stone and wooden building of the country was built, which everyone knew about a little later. You swam in the «excavations». «or pools covered with a stand that gave them privacy for bathing.
San Blas Marathon
Mr. Andrew G. Luring did not have enough capital to maintain and improve his business, passing it on to the stronger and more enterprising, in order to receive Mr. José Usera a coameño, who built a building there in 1857, which is still preserved and which was recently destroyed.
Don Julio Vizcarrondo, speaking of the newly built spa, said in 1863: «… This source of mineral water was used to create a bath with such miraculous effects that one constantly gets sick ‘in and out of the island’.» Get well. Their current owner, Don José Usera, rides it, putting it on par with the best in its class.»
His life is already a legend. For almost a century after its construction, the Coamo thermal baths maintain a high reputation in the country for its excellent quality as a place to spend time.
There is nothing more attractive for romance or relaxation, the beauty of lush vegetation and diverse and ubiquitous fauna, which have been and remain a balm for a stressed and weary mind.
Its salubrious waters, excellent international cuisine, discreet and elegant atmosphere and recreational opportunities make it a favorite with young and old hotel guys, as many foreigners have done. Also, I preferred an idyllic location for honeymooners to spend their honeymoon. However, Spa Thermes de Coamo has become a meeting place for Puerto Rico’s intelligent people, unrivaled in that long time.
Where do the hot sulfuric mineral springs come from? Studies of various geologists came to the conclusion that in the area where this station is located, there was once a volcano that died due to hot rocks (magma) left in the bowels of the earth, high temperature. For cracks or flaws that exist in the skirt of the Coamo River that flows there, and filtered water to these stones. It undergoes certain physical and chemical reactions and then returns to the surface like sulfuric water from hot springs.
But back to the newly renovated spa. This absolutely modern building consists of four guest buildings, one for the dining room and the other for the administration. They are located around the famous old Saman tree, now more beautiful than ever, former hotel guests knew and admired it 50 or 60 years ago. Travelers’ buildings are unusual in that their architecture, although modern, resembles the «ranch» style of Puerto Rico’s old coffee plantations.
Two modern swimming pools were built, one of which is fed by hot mineral springs. The hostel has 48 rooms, which is almost twice as many as in the old hotel. During construction, he sought to preserve as much as possible, while the typical exotic vegetation was one of his main attractions.
The San Blas Marathon is held annually in our city of Coamo, Puerto Rico and is considered one of the most important cross country events in the world. The race began in 1963 as a roadside event, but not until the 1970s when hectic road testing began in the United States and around the world.
To be attempted at an intermediate distance between the longest track run (10,000 meters) and the classic marathon (42,195 km), can compete with the best runners of everyone in the world in both categories. Since its inception, it has managed to invite a large number of the best runners from Australia, Ethiopia, Japan, the Soviet Union, Nationalist China, etc. Similarly, brokers visit the United States, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Tanzania, Costa Rica, Kenya, Belgium , Venezuela, Canada and others.
Mobilization of thousands of people left in their homes a few days before the campaign; For those who witness the race, an excellent environment is created for holding promotions and advertising messages.
For the quality and competitiveness of the world-famous Elite Racing TV producers, choose the San Blas Half Marathon to be featured on ESPN’s «Road Race of the Month». This program is being implemented in the USA, Puerto Rico and other countries in tens of millions of families.
Origin of Coamo Historical Museum appeared M me Eufrosia Cianchini, who before his death wanted to donate his house in the city at that time it was a museum, because she was a woman who loved people and people loved. Between 1975 and 1976 he founded the Historical Museum of Coamo. It was bought by the Honorable Mayor Francisco Horacio Ortiz.
The building was acquired in 1976 by the municipality of Coamo with federal funds to the executor estate M i Euphrosyne (Sisita) Cianchini widow. Santiago. The sale price of $140,000 includes furniture and items. Its owner, Don Clotilde Santiago, was a wealthy landowner and merchant and a member of the provincial council (the equivalent of the current governor’s office).
Opened in 1979, the museum contains many objects from the private collection of Don Ramon Rivera Bermudez, historian of Coamo, as well as original furniture from the old house. The rest of the museum items were donated by Philippe Monerau, the adopted son of composer José Ignacio Quinton, family and popular composer Bobby Hood.
Preserved museum with original furniture, living room, dining room, double bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. The rest of the premises were converted into exhibition halls. Many of the fine pieces of the house were brought from Spain, Italy and the Middle East by Don Florencio Santiago (son of Don Clotilde) and his wife Dona Cicita Cianchini.
Living room and dining room furnished with beautiful neoclassical Elizabethan style mahogany and cedar furniture made by Puerto Rican cabinetmakers. The room has a beautiful lamp and four large paintings representing the four seasons, brought from Spain at the beginning of XX — th century, and a bust of Don Florencio by the Italian sculptor A. Canessa. The master bedroom is an accurate reflection of the religious devotion of Santiago Cianchini’s wedding, as several religious images and paintings can be seen in this room.
In 1979 he opened a museum in Cuatricentenario Villa San Blas. The building retains its original Spanish colonial style. Currently, the building and relics remain intact. Hermitage Chapel of La Valvanera — Ermita de la Altagracia (1622-1820) — Santa Claus of settlers and patron saint of Santo Domingo.
History of the cymbal series
In 1979, to celebrate the 400th of Coamo’s 15 plaques, white marble slabs were unveiled and placed throughout the city, mainly in the historic area around the Catholic Church and the recreation area. These plaques, along with your message, identify the most important places, events, and historical figures in the community.
Coamo Memorial Foundation
This beautiful monument, built of imitation granite and black marble, is located in a square niche almost in front of the Catholic Church. It opened on 15 July 1979 years old, on the day of Quatricentenario. Recall the history of the beginning of the founding of Coamo in 1579, the founders, the indigenous coamenos and the eventual proclamation of the people by the villa in 1778.
The construction of the monument contains a secret box containing messages from municipal authorities, local institutions and leaders, portraits, books and «memorabilia» of Coamo from 1979. The ballot box will be opened in 2079, that is, to welcome the 500-year-old Coamo.
Two historic obelisks stand in the Falls sector on Highway 14 at km 34.5 commemorating officers who died during the Spanish-American War in North America, 9August 1898. Commander Rafael Martínez Illescas, head of the Spanish forces in Coamo, was dining at the mayor’s house (now a house museum) when a soldier arrived to break the news of the American invasion of Los Llanos de Coamo. Illescas left quickly to do his duty.
Alerts his troops and begins a tactical retreat towards Aibonito, but is suddenly ambushed outside Coamo by American flanking movement. Although the Spaniards upheld the value that characterizes terizaba, nothing could stand against the Americans’ superiority in firepower. Illescas fell, mortally wounded, as well as Captain Frutos Lopez, who replaced him at the head, and three soldiers. This was followed by the surrender of the Spanish troops: five officers and 162 soldiers were taken prisoner.
Its construction began in the first half of the XVII — th century building at the end of 1784 their Hispano late baroque architecture with influences from XVII — and XVIII — centuries. There is an inscription on the balcony of the front beam of the choir, which spells out the name of the building’s employer, Estanislao Columba, and the year has ended. The atrium and trellis around the building were built in the 1890s. Rectangular church with a central vaulted nave and two aisles that continue into sacristies on either side of the choir. The better half, with the blind lantern covering the chapel, is on the rectangle of the same chapel. Facade — mixed line. The facade cornice is continuous with the side walls and topped with vases and turrets. Air conditioning was installed at the beginning of XXI — th th century.
Notes and links
- ↑ http://www.coamo.puertorico.pr/turismo/mirador80.JPG
- ↑ http://www.coamo.puertorico.pr/turismo/mirador7.JPG
Municipalities of Puerto Rico
|Adjuntas Aguada Aguadilla Aguas Buenas AIBONITO Anasco Arecibo Arroyo Barceloneta Barranquitas Bayamón Cabo Rojo Caguas Camui Canóvanas Carolina Cataño Cayey Ceiba Ciales Cidra Coamo Corozal Comerio Culebra Dorado Fajardo Florida Guanica Guayama Guayanilla Guaynabo Gurabo Hatillo Hormigueros Humacao Isabela Jayuya Juan Diaz Juncos Lajas Lares Loiza Luquillo Manati Las Marías Maricao Maunabo Mayagüez Moka Morovis Naguabo Naranjito Orocovis Patillas Peñuelas Las Piedras Ponce Quebradillas Rincon Rio Grande Sabana Grande Salinas San Germán San Juan San Lorenzo San Sebastian Santa Isabel Toa Alta Toa Baja Trujillo Utuado Vega Alta Vega Baja Vieques Villalba Yabucoa Yauco|
wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAutoLogin/start?type=1×1″ alt=»» title=»»>
Ilyinskaya Hospital — a modern outpatient hospital center :: National Hero of Spain Senor Admiral Blas de Leso y Olavarrieta
Blank shot by English gunners
tore off Admiral Blas de Leso
single leg. The thigh was tied with a sword belt. He was taken to the city, where, to stop the bleeding, the wound was cauterized with boiling oil. After
The admiral demanded that the Roma be dressed and ordered a stretcher to be brought to the walls.
Every good Spaniard should always be
on the alert and look towards Britain, even defecate.
Admiral Blas de Leso.
you will arrive in Colombia, in the city of Cartagena — Cartagena de Indias, as it was called in
old times — not far from the city center in front of the ancient fort of San Felipe de Barajas
you can see the bronze figure of a one-armed and one-legged man in the sea
caftan. He clutches a naked sword in his remaining hand. His only eye
looks at the mouth of the Boca Grande, which leads to the city. This person —
the national hero of Spain, Senor Admiral Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta, that
revered by Spanish sailors almost more than Columbus himself.
was a Basque by nationality, a native of the small town of Pasajes in
province of Guipuzcoa. This small town, in addition to the hero of our article, gave
two more celebrities to the world: contemporary singer, poet and composer Mikel
Laboa and Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo, the great fashion designer whom the whole world
Knows under the name Paco Raban.
was born on February 3, 1689 in a poor noble family and was brought up in harsh
traditions of the local mountaineers. Like all locals, he was fluent in traditional
weapon — makila — a heavy club-staff with a steel tip, and
also a local variant of the Spanish Navaja. The latter was distinguished by a sharp crackling
sound when opening — a signature feature of the «Basque
ratchet lock. The crackle warns the enemy in advance, as to attack
unexpectedly among the Basques it was considered a disgrace. At the age of seven he was sent to study destrese
— Spanish style of martial arts. At twelve, young Blas sets off
serve the king.
on the shores of the «Devil’s Sea», generous to storms and squalls — insidious
Bay of Biscay — the Basque Country was famous for the most skillful sailors and
shipbuilders. They left their proud but poor homeland and fought under the French,
Spanish and Portuguese banners. Northern Navarre and Gascony, inhabited
the Basques and related Gascons belonged to France. Even leftovers
Ferdinand Magellan’s expedition brought back the Basque Juan Sebastian del Cano. He something
and made the first round-the-world voyage, and not Magellan, who was slaughtered on
Philippines. King Charles the Fifth even allowed Juan Sebastian to place on the coat of arms
among cinnamon sticks and other spices, the globe with the proud motto «You
the first one swam around me. But this is completely different
Senior Admiral Blas de Leso y Olavarrieta
Image source: https://commons.wikimedia.org
received a midshipman’s patent and entered the French fleet. Three years later he
already fought bravely with the enemy in the War of the Spanish Succession. British core
in the battle of Malaga, his leg was crushed almost at the knee. The surgeon suggested
young man «anesthesia»: stun him with a special mallet — a wooden hammer that beat
on a leather pad stuffed with sand, which was placed on the head before the blow. But
fifteen-year-old Blas refused the services of an «anaesthetist» — a ship
carpenter and waved a glass of rum. He endured the operation stoically, without uttering a groan,
not a cry. The defense of the besieged Toulon cost him an eye. And in the battle
Barcelona, he also lost his right hand.
the famous admiral has accumulated many nicknames. His name was «Prosthesis», and «Half-man» or «Half-man», and «Wooden
leg», even «Pig’s leg». Why pig? Everything is very simple: clumsy, planed from above
down the cone, the piece of wood on which Captain Blas jumped looked like
Ham. By the way, for the same reason, «Ham» was also called
old pirate John Silver from Stevenson’s novel.
for twenty-five years, Blas de Leso, commanding only one frigate, managed to
defeat almost a dozen English ships. For many years he fought at all
seas, grappling now with the British, now with the Dutch, now with the mighty fleet
Ottoman ports on the Mediterranean, then pursuing Algerian pirates from the African
coast of the Atlantic. 23 battles with formidable opponents did not cool the hot
the heart and fighting fervor of an admiral who served in the Navy for nearly 40 years.
On the contrary, they made him one of the most dashing and risk-averse naval commanders.
Few were able, like him, to quietly approach the enemy, to attack him from the nose.
or stern, where there are fewer guns, «to catch the wind», or
wedge between enemy ships, smashing them from both sides at once.
led the defense of Cartagena from the English invasion. We didn’t use it for nothing.
a word meaning epic danger. My Lord Admiral Edward’s British Navy
Vernon had more ships than the famous Invincible
Armada». That one had about 120 ships, and Vernon’s fleet had more than 180. True,
only 32 of them were full-fledged combat, the rest were armed transport,
on which almost 30,000 soldiers of His Majesty the King arrived in Cartagena
Great Britain. Among the English troops was a battalion of riflemen,
recruited in the North American colonies. His commander Lawrence Washington was
half brother of George Washington.
two years before these events, the captain of the «merchant» British
merchant Bob Jenkins showed in the British House of Commons his similar to a huge
dumpling an ear allegedly chopped off by a Spanish patrol. Despite the apparent absurdity
what is happening, Parliament voted the war, and the king approved the decision. In history it
entered as «the war for Jenkins’ ear». It lasted 3 years and
ended with the victory of Spain and France. And this despite the fact that the British
there were 8 times more troops and 25 (!) times more ships, of which two-thirds were
sunk or burnt out. In fact, the war, of course, was not over the ear. All
it was in Asiento, a monopoly on the importation of slaves into the Spanish and Portuguese colonies. To Vernon’s fleet
resisted the garrison of Cartagena. The number of all its parts did not exceed 3000
a man with a small, only six pennants, squadron. In parts of the garrison there were
no more than 1200 soldiers of the Spanish king. Local Indians after negotiations with
the Spanish admiral put up about 600 archers. The rest of the army were militias
from urban dwellers, armed with a drecolle.
the naval commander believed that victory was in his hands. He got so excited that
sent a victory report to London without even starting hostilities. At the same time
ordered to cast bronze medals, on which the Spanish admiral, whom
medals dubbed «Don Blas», kneeling begging Vernon for mercy. On the obverse is the inscription «Pride
Spain, humiliated by Admiral Vernon», on the reverse — «True
British hero takes Cartagena in 1741. But these are not the main mistakes.
artists and foundry workers. Even if they tried to put a proud Basque on
knees, it wouldn’t work. His leg was cut off so high that, being
fastened to the prosthesis, did not bend at all. Moreover, he, having only one
hand, could not raise it in a pleading gesture. On his knees he must
would have to lean on the ground, otherwise lost
would balance. In a word, to bring Blas de Lezo to his knees, his
would have to be dug into the ground.
prepared for battle. All shallows were filled with stone and bundles of logs. Closed the entrance to
harbor with rafts and booms, flooded several boats loaded with stone and sand.
Batteries were built. The Spaniards fortified them with tours and gabions, fascines with
sand. The reckless English lost their time. That is why they had to land in
side and go to the city by land. Swampy mangrove jungle smoked
disgusting miasma. Hordes of various kinds of tropical insects — huge
and monstrous ants — filled the tents of rosy-cheeked Europeans and
North Americans. Approaching from land to the advanced fort Saint-Jose, the British rushed to the assault. They were supported from the sea
artillery cannonade and boats with landing.
hot, but the multiple superiority of the British made itself felt. The fort fell. How
only the English ships broke into the internal waters of the harbor, de Leso ordered
blow up the powder magazines of the fort, where the long wicks led from the outside. Almost 20
tons of gunpowder flew into the air. Despite 2,000 British dead and maimed,
Vernon ordered the attack. There is not the slightest doubt that the city will be taken, it
did not experience. But the Spaniards fought back! The siege began. Admiral de Leso concentrated
artillery at Fort St. Lazare. The Spanish gunners led from there such a murderous
fire from the 48-pound «royal» guns that the British were forced to withdraw mutilated,
steaming fire ships out of the bay. De Leso immediately ordered to flood
several ships in the fairway, completely depriving the enemy of the opportunity
artillery support for the attackers. Later, the British delivered light guns to
dry. But they could not break through the fortifications, and it was impossible to deliver heavy ones.
Several specially surrendered Spanish heroes on the instructions of the admiral
misinformed the British. They, not being able to use guns,
concentrated where the admiral lured them. At night the Spaniards approached
sleeping English camps. The Indians rendered invaluable help.
Spaniards with whom it was much more democratic than in the English colonies. They are
mowed down the English with arrows and silently removed all the English
sentries. The Spanish garrison, with attached baguettes, rushed into a mad attack
by ten times the number of British troops. «Viva
El Rey Felipe! thundered from all sides, «Santiago!»
literally attacked the British. The massacre was terrible. English soldiers are
survived and ran. The Spaniards pursued the fugitives as long as they had the strength to do so.
The hopes of the British to take the city by storm collapsed. An exhausting siege began
lasting 67 days. Rotten climate, yellow fever, malaria and others
tropical diseases decimated the British. Indian warriors slaughtered sentries, struck
the British were poisoned with curare darts from blowpipes, pierced with arrows.
The Spaniards constantly undertook sorties. Don Blas de Leso often led
soldiers and sailors personally. Despite his wounds and injuries, he even participated in
hand-to-hand. Although the devoted orderlies tried to cover him with their bodies from
danger, it was not possible to save the admiral. Core released by English gunners
completely tore off the admiral’s only leg. The thigh was tied with a sword belt. He was taken to the city, where, to stop the bleeding, the wound was cauterized with boiling oil. After
The admiral demanded that the Roma be dressed and ordered a stretcher to be brought to the walls.